FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

Cyclone V SX - dual 10Gbe XAUI

BAbbott
Novice

Hi,

I'm looking into implementing a dual XAUI interface for 10Gbe ethernet using the XAUI IP in a Cylcone V SX (5CSXFC5). I've been able to implement one, but I'm having issues implementing two. Theoritically, is it possible to implement two using the 9 GXB transceivers (Lanes 0-3 and Lanes 5-8) or do I need to go a different route?

It also looks as though 10Gbe is the only option - should I be using the 156Mhz reference clock for the REFCLK pins for this implementation or can they run to global clock input pins?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Please refer to Figure 4-23 in the following link, each XAUI link requires a dedicated CMU PLL, and it will occupy either CH1 or CH4, therefore, 9 XCVR channels device is not enough to have two XAUI interfaces.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v3.pdf

Regards -SK

SengKok_L_Intel

Besides, you have to use the 156.25Mhz as the input reference clock frequency for the XAUI.

BAbbott
Novice

So using CH4 for the input PLL + CH5-8 as the interface should be sufficient with REF_CLK0 being the input for the 156.25MHz?

Making sure I understand that correctly.

SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

This is suggested to compile with a simple design to see if the Quartus allow this kind of combination to fit and whether there is any critical warning.

SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.