FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

DDR2 -CYCLONE IV Termination

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am designing a board which contains a DDR2 SDRAM memory and a CYCLONE IV device. 

I looked at the development kit of CYCLONE IV schematics and saw that all the signals from/to the ddr2 have an external parralel 50 ohm termination to vtt(0.9v). 

I read some of the threads regarding the subject but they are quite ambiguous..I don't have enough space on my board so I would love to get a clear answer to the following questions: 

1. Is the external termination resistor neccecarry ? Can it be ommited from all the signals? If not- what signals still must have the external termination? 

2. What is the correct INTERNAL OCT (for the CYCLONE device) which can replace the external termination? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm already have a my board with Cyclone IV and DDR2 - it already worked without termination. Micron's article says that you don't need termination resistors if you have length less then 62.5 mm.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I have also a small board with cyclone IV / DDR2. 

When you say that DDR2 works without termination, is it only for dq/dqs or for all signals² : diff clocks, addresses and command signals ? 

I also see on cyclone III dev kit that FPGA vref IO (VREFBxNy) are connected to DDR_vref. Is it needed ? 

thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to place termination resistor only for diff clock. 

FPGA vref IO connect to DDR_VREF ( = 1.8V/2) due to io standard used DDR2. 

Also you have to read ALtera documents about using DDR more carefully