FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

DDR2 HP Critical Warning

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody! 

I'm trying to implement the DDR2 high performance controller in an SOPC system on a Stratix III, but when building the design with Quartus I get some Critical Warnings like those: 

Info: altmemddr_phy_ddr_timing.sdc: Could not find PLL clocks for inst|the_altmemddr|altmemddr_controller_phy_inst|alt_mem_phy_inst|altmemddr_phy_alt_mem_phy_inst|clk|full_rate.pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]. Creating PLL base clocks 

Critical Warning: PLL clock inst|the_altmemddr|altmemddr_controller_phy_inst|alt_mem_phy_inst|altmemddr_phy_alt_mem_phy_inst|clk|full_rate.pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[4] not driven by a dedicated clock pin or neighboring PLL source. To ensure minimum jitter on memory interface clock outputs, the PLL clock source should be a dedicated PLL input clock pin or an output of the neighboring PLL. 

Warning: altmemddr_phy_ddr_timing.sdc: Failed to find PLL input clock pin driving inst|the_altmemddr|altmemddr_controller_phy_inst|alt_mem_phy_inst|altmemddr_phy_alt_mem_phy_inst|clk|full_rate.pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[4] 

After I successfully created the NIOS design with SOPC Builder I executed the .tcl script that makes the IO standard assignment and also added the .sdc file to the Quartus project. Further I made the fitter setting according to the SOPC Builder notes. 

Then I connected the component to the FPGA ports. The ports for the DDR2 memory were named mem_xxx. 

Finally I created my own .sdc file where I created the clock signal. 

I haven't tested the design on my target hardware yet because I'm still waiting for the board (Stratix III DSP Development Kit). 

Can anybody please give me a hint what I might have done wrong that causes the warnings above? 

best regards 

Christoph
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it's me again. 

If anybody of you has implemented the DDR2 high performance controller on the "Stratix III 3SL150 Development Board" could you please send me your Quartus setting file (.qsf)? 

I had to make the pin assignments myself (because I'm still waiting for my board and thus haven't got a reference design yet) and am afraid I might have made wrong pin assignments. 

best regards 

Christoph
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos