FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5954 Discussions

DDR3 does not seem to fit into MAX10 10M16

gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

I have a "DDR3​ SDRAM Controller with UniPHY Intel FPGA IP" instantiated on its own in a design with no other logic. When I compile the fitter is not able to place 8 pins. The error messages are in the image. The attached txt file has details.

When the fitter is at full liberty since I did not personally specify and pin location constrains, it is unable to fit all DDR3 pins into the banks 5 and 6. These are the only banks that can be used for DDR3 signals. Does this prove that DDR3 cannot be used with this device?

I am confused this DDR3 must be useable with the 10M16 range of MAX10 FPGAs but here the fitter fails.

The device used is the 10M16DAF256I6G.

errors.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What is the memory configuration/setup? The EMIF spec estimator for MAX 10 with DDR3 only indicates you can use only a single chip select, but you have CS1 in these errors. Fill in your info here to see:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/exter...

Abe
Valued Contributor II

Looks like the Pin assignments are incompatible for the following pins:

RAM_BA0

RAM_BA1

RAM_BA2

RAM_CAS

RAM_RAS

RAM_CS1

RAM_WE

RAM_ODT

These pins which need 1.5V are being assigned to Banks which are already configured for 1.2V . Check the pin assignments and change them to the proper Banks for 1.5V and compile. This should solve the issue.