FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DSP CIC problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am observing a strange (to me) behaviour with a CIC IP instantiated in dsp builder (12.1sp2). 

I am using it to decimate a 10 MSample/sec signal to 100 KSample/sec. 

I used the following parameters: 

Filter type: Decimator 

Number of stages: 3 

Differential delay: 1 

Rate change factor: 100 

Variable Rate Change Factor Options (disactivated) 

Number of interfaces: 1 

Number of channels per interface: 1 

Input data width: 16 bits 

For the output I’ve tried to use also full output resolution, but the "problem" is still present. 

If I use more than 3 or 4 bits for the amplitude of the input signal (signed), then I obtain the results I expect, but with less bits no. 

If I use a 10 KHz signal as input I obtain the output as I expected (a 10KHz sampled at 100 KSample/sec) even with one only bit of amplitude, but with a 1 KHz signal the output is different (it seems somehow distorted). 

Please have a look at the screenshots present in the attachment. 

I find this behaviour very strange; probably there is some DSP reasoning I am ignoring. Maybe in order to obtain the expected results even with a 1 KHz tone I should configure the CIC differently or use it with some workaround. 

Any advice is more than warmly welcome. 

A_G76
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How I can ask question on this forum? 

Can some one please post the link please?