FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Do I need pcie_reconfig_driver, pcie hardcore

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I’m doing my first pcie design with altera. I’m using the qsys flow implementing a gen1 x1 pcie with Avalon-mm interface. I have to say I’m really having a difficult time understanding how to get it all bolted together. There are lots of documents and some videos, but it’s my opinion that they spend more time describing the water than teaching me how to swim. 

Question: 

It’s not clear to me when I must use the pcie_reconfig_driver in my design.  

According to the wiki a gen1 pcie does not need the reconfig driver. In the Altera install directory there is a qsys pcie sample ep_g1x1.qsys, but it has the reconfig driver and it’s gen1. The qsys file for the Cyclone V GT FPGA Development Kit is a gen2x4, and the qsys file for the design does not have reconfig driver. If I understand correctly, I must include the alt_xcvr_recofig with any pcie implementation. When do I need the reconfig driver? What are the implications of just using it? I hate to include stuff that is not necessary to my design.  

thanks 

References: 

Wiki: (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/configuring_the_transceiver_reconfiguration_controller_and_the_pcie_reconfig_driver_for_stratix_v_and_arria_v_gz_pcie_hard_ip_designs

Location of ep_g1x1.qsys: c:\altera\14.0\ip\altera\altera_pcie\altera_pcie_cv_hip_avmm\example_designs 

Cyclone V kit link: 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyclone-v-gt.html
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pcie_reconfig_driver is required if the PCIe core is generated as Avalon-ST interface. 

The pcie_reconfig_driver is not required if the PCIe core is generated as Avalon-MM interface.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The pcie_reconfig_driver is required if the PCIe core is generated as Avalon-ST interface. 

The pcie_reconfig_driver is not required if the PCIe core is generated as Avalon-MM interface. 

--- Quote End ---  

Is this also the case for PCIe 3.0 x8?
0 Kudos