FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Dsp Builder doesn't work

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have a new 64-bit Windows vista platform. I have Matlab R2007b with a license on a server. I have downloaded and installed the new Quartus 8.0 30-day trial and Dsp Builder 8.0sp1 on Altera Web site before the arrival of the Altera design suite we are waiting for.  

When tring to run Altera Dsp Builder blocks, I read the message below on the command window:  

"C:\altera\80\quartus\dsp_builder\bin\BlockInfo.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform 

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR\dsp_builder\bin does not contain BlockInfo.dll 

Please ensure DSP Builder is installed correctly and that the environment variable QUARTUS_ROOTDIR points to your quartus installation. " 

I also check the Quartus II 6.0 old license with the environment variable pointing on a valid license. No change. 

Can anyone tell me what happened and what I can do to afford this. I've spent 3 days on it now.  

Thanks in advance for your help 

dzonaser
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you have the 64-bit version of Matlab installed. DSP Builder is entirely 32-bit and so will not work with this. If you have access to it, you could try the 32-bit version of MATLAB.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for reply, 

But can the 32-bit version of Matlab work with my 64-bit windows vista?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it will work just fine, I have a 64-bit system with both Matlab64 and Matlab32 installed, as well as both versions of Quartus.  

Just remember to launch the 32-bit versions when you need DSP Builder 

--Mickey 

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I'm using XP, not Vista, but Vista should work, with v8.0 sp1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. 32-bits Matlab is also working on 64-bits Windows Vista but taking blocks from Simulink library to the drawing area is sometimes slow. We have the same situation whe trying to select many blocks or to open a block... not comfortable at all. 

dzonaser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How much RAM do you have?  

I'm not seeing any problem with responsiveness, but I upgraded the Matlab station to 4 GB of RAM (64-bit Windows can address 4GB for 32-bit processes when "Large Address Aware" is set).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was off for some weeks 

I have 8 GB of RAM 

Thanks
0 Kudos