FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Ethernet Between 2x DE2-115. One fails DHCP! Not all the time

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Fellas, 

I've got a Terasic TPAD and a DE2-115the TPAD is a DE2-115. 

I'm running identical ethernet firmware and software on them except a switch gives them each a different IP and MAC. 

I have sucessfull comms to and from PCs for each IP/MAC pair. 

Now for some reason the TPAD regardless of IP or MAC. Will fail its DHCP, but not all the time, just most of the time as in 4 of 5 or more (enough that its useless). A packet sniffer sees the DHCP replies on the network. So its a case of the packets not making it or the stack rejecting it i suppose? 

Is there anything regards to using the same boards, that i've over looked? 

Its really cheesing me off and costing me precious time as i have to stop and just keep trying to re-download and reset everything in vain attempts to get it back working. 

Any ideas? 

I can supply plenty more infor if needed.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What stack and what DHCP server? If it's InterNiche, then it always had problems with DHCP. Afaik it didn't work with Windows Server DHCP at all. There's InterNiche version 4, but not ported to support Nios. I'd offer to check LwIP.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Soc. I definatley will in the furture when i take this project further in my own time; these stack has infuriated me. 

Unfortunately to make my University due dates its not an option. I'm in discussions with Terasic in order to ensure it is the Ethernet port 0. 

I've ported my project to Ethernet Port 1 and so-far so good for DHCP, but there may be other issues. 

Speaking of which. The "No free buffers error" that seems common, appears to me to be caused by bad program flow. Have you had experience with this in the past?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you get this working on Port 0? I am having the same issues. 

Port 1 works fine, Port 0 fails most of the time.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No i never did get it working. I'm still in arguements with terasic about it. They use their webserver example as proof of functionality, but i has no software reset, so it proves nothing because it works most of the time off the bat. i got some more tests to do for them. I'll let you know. If i forget PM me.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Let me know if I can help. I have been trying to get Port 0 to work but I have not had any luck.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not that it should matter. Is yours a TPAD or a lone DE2-115?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the Tpad (Veek).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

many places. there are many documents you should find at 

www.alterwiki.com. I remember finding so many solving for you 

good luck
0 Kudos