FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

FFT MegaCore 13.0 Generation Stuck

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was trying to generate a 1024 point Variable Streaming bi-directional FFT IP Core using the FFT MegaCore Function. After click "Step 3 Generate", it will hang in there forever. It shows that the function stuck at "Generating MegaCore function top-level". The screen shot is attached for your reference. A temp folder has been created named "iptb_fft_temp4719569924717944842", which contains some .v files and .hex files as well as some ".m" files. Do you guys have any idea what causes this stuck? I have tried more than 20 times, and only successfully generate the .qip file once. Any inputs are welcome. 

Thanks 

-Roger
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Roger, I've noticed this too - what seems to be happening is that Quartus_map hangs when creating the model for 3rd party synthesis - so what you can do to work around this is open up task manager go to processes and kill quartus_map. That will let it complete for you. Not great, better than nothing!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the tips. I have tried the trick, it makes the process proceed to "Generating Verilog HDL IP functional simulation model", but still stuck at this stage forever. Then, I tried the same trick, but it failed the how process. I do need to generate the Simulation model, which cannot be bypassed by killing the quartus_map. Is there any other tricks to play with? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Roger, I've noticed this too - what seems to be happening is that Quartus_map hangs when creating the model for 3rd party synthesis - so what you can do to work around this is open up task manager go to processes and kill quartus_map. That will let it complete for you. Not great, better than nothing! 

--- Quote End ---  

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Which quartus version and OS are using? Once I had similar issue with WIN8.1 and some older Quartus version. I have solved issue by updating to latest Quartus version.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was using Win 7 Pro, and Quartus 13.0 sp1. I also tried Quartus 10.0, similar problem.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

Which quartus version and OS are using? Once I had similar issue with WIN8.1 and some older Quartus version. I have solved issue by updating to latest Quartus version. 

--- Quote End ---  

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Roger, 

I believe have seen this before and I solved it with the same trick jrose wrote. However, you need to wait until a certain step, which might take some time and then kill the process. Then everything was created and it worked. Otherwise, you might want to upgrade to a later release than 13.0 sp1. 

Cheers, 

fade
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi jrose,  

Do you know if the trick applies on win 10? Because in win10's task manager, under process, I didn't find any process named quartus_map, so do you have any idea? Thank you very much!