FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

FFT output scaling

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will be grateful if anyone can help me here, because I'm having a really hard time trying to sort things out. 

I've already made a VHDL test bench to simulate a transform of a sinusoidal signal, but, I can't check if the result is correct, cause I'm not sure about the scaling procedure. The FFT Megacore user guide says I need to: 

[LIST]Determine the length of the full scale register, according to the given table - DONE[/LIST] 

[LIST]Map the output data to the appropriate location within the register, according to the exponent value - DONE[/LIST] 

[LIST]Sign extend the data within the full scale register.[/LIST] 

I'm stuck in the last item, because I don't know how to do that. The guide shows the following example: 

case (exp) 

6'b110101 : //-11 Set data equal to MSBs 

begin 

full_range_real_out[26:0] <= {real_in[15:0],11'b0}; 

full_range_imag_out[26:0] <= {imag_in[15:0],11'b0}; 

end 

6'b110110 : //-10 Equals left shift by 10 with sign extension 

begin 

full_range_real_out[26] <= {real_in[15]}; 

full_range_real_out[25:0] <= {real_in[15:0],10'b0}; 

full_range_imag_out[26] <= {imag_in[15]}; 

full_range_imag_out[25:0] <= {imag_in[15:0],10'b0}; 

end 

6'b110111 : //-9 Equals left shift by 9 with sign extension 

begin 

full_range_real_out[26:25] <= {real_in[15],real_in[15]}; 

full_range_real_out[24:0] <= {real_in[15:0],9'b0}; 

full_range_imag_out[26:25] <= {imag_in[15],imag_in[15]}; 

full_range_imag_out[24:0] <= {imag_in[15:0],9'b0}; 

end 

endcase 

I have no idea why, in the last case for example, the real_in[15] was assigned to full_range_real_out[26:25]. I thought I was supposed to left shift by 9 and fill the remaining bits with zeroes. Can somebody explain what is going on?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not familiar with your fft scaling but here is explanation of your statements. 

--- Quote Start ---  

full_range_real_out[26:25] <= {real_in[15],real_in[15]}; 

--- Quote End ---  

this is sign bit repeated twice to sign extend the value 

--- Quote Start ---  

full_range_real_out[24:0] <= {real_in[15:0],9'b0}; 

--- Quote End ---  

this is left shift by inserting 9 zeros on new LSBs. the original bits 15:0 are in effect multiplied by 2^9 

since 9 zero LSBs, then 15:0 make 25 bits while full range is 27 bits then sign bit is repeated twice.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

since 9 zero LSBs, then 15:0 and one sign bit make 26 bits while full range is 27 bits then sign bit repeated. 

--- Quote End ---  

So I must repeat the sign bit as many times as needed to match the full range width? For example, assume I would like to left shift by 5, so I do: 

full_range_real_out [26:21] <= {real_in[15],real_in[15],real_in[15],real_in[15],real_in[15],real_in[15]}; 

full_range_real_out [20:0] <= {real_in [15:0],5'b0};
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

correct. 

In 2's complement. a number is same value if you sign extend the MSBs. 

In unsigned system you only sign extend with zeros.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

correct. 

In 2's complement. a number is same value if you sign extend the MSBs. 

In unsigned system you only sign extend with zeros. 

--- Quote End ---  

Now that you mentioned, I'm not sure if the input format is in 2's complement as well. The user guide is not clear about it, but I assume it is indeed 2's complement.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think all of the fixed point DSP IP uses 2's complement

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is another question. What's the use of bit reverse order and -N/2 to N/2 order? Isn't it more intuitive to work with natural order? What's the order used by the streaming, burst and buffered burst data flow?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

its more intuitive to work with natural order, but it uses quite a bit more RAM. depending on your application, you might develop in natural order but change to bit reversed order to save resources in the final design