FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

Floating point format support

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to determine what kind of support is available in Altera tools, and IP for floating point formats. From what I have seen so far, it appears single precision and double precision is mostly supported. Although there is a warning regarding double precision when using OpenCL. I also see that user defined precision formats are also supported in some megafunctions. 

One particular floating point format I am interested in is half-precision (16 bit). Is this format offered? (I would expect it is for at least the IP that support custom/user defined precision formats. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe DSP Builder Advanced supports that format.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Arria 10 has hardware IEEE-754 support.  

What kind of application are you working on which requires the dynamic range of FP? Most people I talk to seem to require FP since that's what they are used to in their previous DSP, their Matlab model uses FP, etc.