FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5875 Discussions

Floating point modules MegaWizard question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello people! 

I want to implement a small sinewave generator inside my Cyclone IV E using some of the floating point operations in the MegaWizard. 

I have two simple questions: 

First of all, should the input in the SINCOS module be in radians (0 - 2*pi) or in degrees (0 - 360)? 

And the second question is how does the output latency work? In time t=0 it takes the input and does calculations for the cycles required while neglecting input until it finishes, and then it takes the next input at cycle (t=0 + latency) again, or does it work in a queue taking all inputs sequentially? 

Thanks a lot in advance!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Altera forgot to mention the angle unit in the users guide, I presume it's radian as with altfp_atan. 

Pipelined IP can process new input values every clock cycle.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Pipelined IP can process new input values every clock cycle. 

--- Quote End ---  

And the result appears N clocks later, so any signals in parrallel to the data not being processed need to be delayed by N clocks also.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Do you want a sine wave, or to you want to experiment with the FP megawizard? 

If you want a sine wave either use a Goertzel generator or a square wave and a low pass filter. 

The Goertzel generator might suffer from amplitude drift. If you only need specific frequencies and amplitudes you can verify that the values eventually repeat - indicating stable amplitude. 

Basically: sin(a+b) = 2sin(a)cos(b) - sin(a-b), so you can generate the next term of a sine wave from the previous 2 terms a constant (cos(b)) with a single multiply and a subtract.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

If you want a sine wave either use a Goertzel generator or a square wave and a low pass filter. 

--- Quote End ---  

Or the Quartus NCO MegaFunction.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks a lot for your answers! 

Basically I just wanted to create a reference for PWM creation, but I used a slow custom updown counter. Now I am having problems with Timing requirements. I have my external crystal clock for DE0 Nano and inside the chip I have two PLLs (450MHz and 75MHz), some state machines and some other custom code. The code simulate4s perfectly but doesnt run correctly. I removed all warnings and now I try to see where the problem is. 

I changed the first PLL to 150MHz (that PLL is used for the PWM creation) and now it works. I constantly have a timing requirements not met and I was wondering what is the easiest way to tell the compiler to fit my design for 450MHz