FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

How can i use Quad SPI to talk with Flash memory ?

senjd
Novice

I am trying to access Flash memory (MT25Q128) by using Quad SPI Ip (AS x4).

I am driving Quad SPI from PCIe. But i didn't understand the sequence to follow from IP document. Quad SPI does have two ports (avl_csr & avl_mem). Which one i need to drive? when?

Is it possible to store the bit file or data while running the fpga?

what should be the sequence to talk to flash memory?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Kishan,

Thanks for this nice question.

The following link show a very useful example for Generic serial flash interface, Please download it and start from there. It is a free example.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/18.0.0/Standard/generic-serial-flash-interface-intel-fpga-ip-core-reference-design/

Regards,

0 Kudos
senjd
Novice

hi thanks for the reply. i ll go through this link. ​

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Please let me know if you need more support.

Regards.

0 Kudos
senjd
Novice

hi, thanks for your reply

i wanted to know the sequence to follow​ for writing the data to flash memory from pcie.as per the Qspi Ip doc its bit confusing for avl_csr & avl_mem port. if you can help me it will be a great help.

0 Kudos
senjd
Novice

Hi @AhmedH_Intel​ ,

Thanks for your reply. This projects are connecting PCIe with external memory. I am trying with PCIe bar4 connecting to Quad SPI interface (CSR + MEM ports). I tried to run following commands on qspi ip using pcie to write something on flash memory.

but i feel i am missing something

control reg [7] = 0x6

control reg [8] = 0x1

control reg [7] = 0x1001

control reg [A] = 0x7C

control reg [8] = 0x1

//WRITING DATA TO MEMORY PORT OF QUAD SPI IP.

MEM [0] = 0x1

MEM [1] = 0x2

On the output side i am getting csn high-low pulses for sometime. & outdata of qspi changes between 0xEh & 0xFh.

Any help appreciate most.

Is there any other registers i need to take care for writing the data?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

It isn't clear how your system is working, I cannot review just by a piece of code, Can you explain more?

Regards,

0 Kudos
senjd
Novice

Hi @AhmedH_Intel​ ,

Thanks for the response.

Here is the system level information.

architecture (system) path :

Host driver will write configuration & data from PCIe (Bar4) which is connected to QSPI IP ( avl_csr & avl_mem ) ports.

Sequence i followed is provided from intel quad spi document (page num 26) : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-gen-sfi.pdf

proc page_program { } {

global mp operating_protocols_setting control_register write_instr

master_write_32 $mp $operating_protocols_setting 0x00000222 //qspi configuration register (avl_csr port) to select 4 byte enable

master_write_32 $mp $control_register 0x00000101 //qspi configuration register (avl_csr port) to enable output

master_write_32 $mp $write_instr 0x00007034 //qspi configuration register (avl_csr port) for write instruction command on flash memory

master_write_32 $mp 0x00001000 0x1234abcd //qspi memory access port (avl_mem port) writing single DWORD into FLASH MEMORY

}

Problem statement : I am able to get the address (0x00001000) and data (0x1234abcd). But unable to get the command. Command is required to come first before address & data.

Not able to get the proper sequence from intel. Can you help me out for it?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your sharing, can you please show a screenshot of the Qsys and the Top-level? this will help us.

Regards

0 Kudos