FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

How to access data from altsyncram in two different ways

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an altsyncram consisting of 4,096 words, 64-bit each. 

The RAM is easily accessed by application A using widthaddress = 12 and widthdata = 64. 

However, I'd like to be able to access the same RAM from application B, but using widthdata = 80. 

Is there a simple way to do this? (without using dual-ports, which I am already using for another reason). 

I was thinking about fetching the data slightly in advance in application B, then do the 80-bit divison myself. Is this usually done? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how are you planning on accessing the data on the 80bit side? 64bits of D0 and 16 bits of D1? then 48 + 32? etc 

You cannot do any mixed widths without duel port, how do you expect to get 80 bits out of a 64 bits data bus?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I was thinking about doing what you're saying (64bits of D0 and 16 bits of D1? then 48 + 32? etc).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, you wont be able to do that with a standard altsyncram. You might be able to do it by cleverly connecting a load of 16 bit wide rams and addressing them properly.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm, that's even more complicated... 

I'm not even sure how it would work with a dual-ported version? 

4096 x 64 = 262,144 bits of data, which is not divisible by 80. I see problems happening at the boundaries... 

Worst case I could put some garbage data in the last word. It would be written/read and then ignored, the cost seems small compared to the size of the RAM. 

Thanks for the response! 

Edit: So for a dual-port version, I'd still use a width of 12 for the address? since I would need 3276.8 words of 80-bit each. Which is between 2^11 and 2^12. 

Hmm... I hope it's doable :).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The megawizard compiler says "The valid ratio btween port A and port B widths are 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16." 

It looks like I can't have 64 and 80 bits in one altsyncram...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

like I said, you wont be able to use a single altsyncram. You should be able to do what you want with a custom memory that is built from 5x 16 bit altsyncrams, and custom address decoding.