FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

How to connect PLL clock to second Triple-Speed Ethernet MAC?

MDehp
Beginner

Hi guys,

I have set up a design with two TSE MAC's, the design already works in simulation.

Now I want to test the design on my MAX10 FPGA, but I can't figure out how to connect the second TSE MAC to the PLL clock. For the first TSE MAC I have used the "AN647: Single-Port Triple Speed Ethernet and On-Board PHY Chip Reference Design" which works correctly.

I geuss I can use 1 PLL clock for both TSE MAC's ?

There are also 2 clk_ctrl instances in the reference design can I use these also for the second TSE MAC?

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Deshi_Intel
Hi Mansur Dehpoor, You can check out TSE user guide doc chapter 7 : Design consideration (page 142) https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf It's ok to use same clock source for multiple MAC instance. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
MDehp
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I have another question concerning the MDIO interface.

Do you know if I could leave out the MDIO interface of both TSE MAC's in RGMII mode?

Or do I need to configure the PHY registers through the MDIO interface. (enable/disbale auto-negotiation?)

For now I have disabled the MDIO option for both MAC, but data transfer between the two MAC's isn't realized yet.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Mansur, Yes, you have the option to either enable or disable MDIO in TSE IP in RGMII mode. MDIO is a common interface where we use to configure external PHY register setting. However, if your external PHY chip has other method to configure the register setting then go ahead to disable MDIO else pls stick to MDIO. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
MDehp
Beginner

Hi dlm,

My FPGA uses 2x the 88E1111 PHY chip. Is it a must that I configure the MDIO registers, or are they configured automatically if I turn off both MDIO of the TSE IP?

Because I can't find the register mapping of the PHY chip.

Regards,

Mansur

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Mansur, It's recommended to configure the PHY chip as I don't think it will auto configured by itself. Normally the register mapping should be in the PHY chip datasheet. You can contact the PHY chip vendor if you required further technical support or clarification. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos