FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

How to get the DCFIFO constraints right for once and for all?

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

I'm used to the Xilinx XPM libraries, they automatically add all the necessary constraints.

I'm trying to use DCFIFO but I really struggle.

First, I read embedded constraints are automatically added when dcfifo is used.

I then renamed all my instances with dcfifo.

A compilation later, I still see lots of CDC timings, among others:

FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|delayed_wrptr_g[5]~DUPLICATE	FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|rdemp_eq_comp_msb_aeb
FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|delayed_wrptr_g[3]~DUPLICATE	FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|rdemp_eq_comp_msb_aeb
FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|delayed_wrptr_g[5]	FIFO_CMD.cmd_dcfifo_i|auto_generated|rdemp_eq_comp_msb_aeb~RTM_6

Why do I get these timings? Why aren't they automatically constrained?

I also get CDC timings on the reset paths even though I set both parameters read_aclr_synch and write_aclr_synch to "ON" and the reset is synchronous to the write clock. I've also tried read_aclk_synch=OFF and write_aclk_synch=ON.

dcfifo  #(
    .intended_device_family    ("Agilex"),
    .lpm_numwords              (512),
    .lpm_showahead             ("ON"),
    .lpm_type                  ( "dcfifo"),
    .lpm_width                 (576),
    .lpm_widthu                (10),
    .add_usedw_msb_bit         ("ON"),
    .read_aclr_synch           ("ON"),
    .write_aclr_synch          ("ON"),
    .rdsync_delaypipe          (2),
    .wrsync_delaypipe          (2)
  ) usr_dcfifo_i (
		.aclr    (s_app_reset),
		.wrclk   (s_app_clk),
		.wrfull  (usr_fifo.wr_full),
		.wrreq   (usr_fifo.wr_en),
		.data    (usr_fifo.wr_data),
		.wrusedw (usr_fifo.wr_data_count),

.rdclk   (m_axi_clk),
		.rdempty (usr_fifo.rd_empty),
		.rdreq   (usr_fifo.rd_en),
		.q       (usr_fifo.rd_data),
		.rdusedw (usr_fifo.rd_data_count),
    .eccstatus (),
    .rdfull    (),
    .wrempty   ()
  );

Regards,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Alexis,

According to DCFIFO Timing Constraint Setting in the link below, FIFO parameter editor provides the timing constraint setting for the DCFIFO function. A user configurable SDC file is generated automatically when DCFIFO is instantiated from the IP Catalog. New timing constraints consist of set_net_delay, set_max_skew, set_min_delay and set_max_delay are used to constraint the design properly.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683522/18-0/dcfifo-timing-constraint-setting.html

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

I don't use the IP Catalog and I don't generate an IP, I directly use the primitive dcfifo as shown in the OP.
We would like to avoid having to create/generate an IP for a simple fifo, unnecessary extra dependencies are unwelcome.

Also, even by using a "FIFO Intel FPGA IP", disabling "Generate SDC file and disable embedded timing constraint" gives the same timing errors.

My question is regarding the DCFIFO's embedded constraints. Some constraints are missing.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alex,

I am checking this internally.

Give sometime and will get back to you

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Alex,

There is a KDB related to your issue.

You may take a look and see if this is applicable

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000084486.html

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

May I know any update?

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

I'm not looking for a workaround, I'd like Intel to stop being incoherent and fix their primitives. There is no reason on earth a primitive needs to be constrained outside by the end-user itself.

Is that so complicated to embed all the necessary constraints into Quartus without the need to check on the forum and years old KDBs?

Xilinx is capable of it with their xpm library, why Intel can't? They have existed for years.

Feel free to close the issue once this is reported to be fixed.

0 Kudos