FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

How to handle complex external signals in Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems that in Qsys, it is not possible to export any signal that is not STD_LOGIC or STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (or a SUBTYPE thereof). Is this correct ? 

We have a slave that exports a bunch of these in a RECORD, to minimize the coding effort (and risk of making errors) to connect them to other subsystems in the FPGA. There's a post on this forum back in 2009 where this was already discussed for SOPC Builder and the suggestions was to use a function to mux/demux these signals to SL(V)s and back. Before embarking on this journey, I'd like to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. 

Thanks, 

J.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right, Qsys only handles std_logic or std_logic_vector. This basically stems from the fact that Qsys (and SOPC) is 'Verilog' (which doesn't have a 'record' construct).  

I code 'to_std_logic_vector( r_type : r)' and 'to_r_type( v : std_logic_vector)' functions for every record I create. The record definition has to go in a package anyway, so including the two functions makes connecting Qsys components easy.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. Exactly what I was looking for. 

I did observe that the Qsys component _hw.tcl files have the SLV width hardcoded. I take it you regenerate them all somehow when you change your records ?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Changing records inevitably leads to regeneration of the _hw.tcl  

You can automate that if you add an elaborate() call and inside that read your package.vhd to adjust the width of the SLV's. Actually it is a bit of fun ;) and it would be even more fun if we could have Python in stead of Tcl :(
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. Thanks for your help !