FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

How to use Triple Speed Ethernet MAC IP with medium dependent interface?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a design I plan to use Altera Triple Speed Ethernet MAC IP. In the PCB, the FPGA is connected with medium dependent interface (MDI), there is no physical connection between RGMII interface with FPGA. So MDI is my only choice, in here: 

http://www.altera.com/products/ip/iup/ethernet/m-mtip-1000mbps_fulldup_ethermac.html 

Altera mentioned it seems they support MDI since: 

Serial 1.25-Gbps medium dependent interface (MDI) (optional) implemented with Altera Stratix GX-embedded serializer/deserializer (SERDES) 

But in their IP configuration, there is no option to make it work with MDI. I wonder have anyone has experience using this IP work MDI?  

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The link you posted is for an IP core from a 3rd party. It is unrelated to Altera Triple Speed Ethernet IP core.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The link you posted is for an IP core from a 3rd party. It is unrelated to Altera Triple Speed Ethernet IP core. 

--- Quote End ---  

Oh yeah, it is my mistake…… 

It's this: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which part are you having trouble with? There is no "MDI" checkbox in the GUI, you just need to select the correct variant per the manual.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Which part are you having trouble with? There is no "MDI" checkbox in the GUI, you just need to select the correct variant per the manual. 

--- Quote End ---  

So does this mean this IP doesn't support MDI ?  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's not what page 7-23 says?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That's not what page 7-23 says? 

--- Quote End ---  

From 7-23 of UG, all it says are about MII, GMII, SGMII, I didn't see anything related to MDI. Did I miss something? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did I miss something? 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry, I can't help with that - it sounds like you're getting a different copy of the file than I am when I click the link you gave. The one I'm getting is labelled 2014.06.30, and on page 7-23 there is not any MII mentioned at all. 

Good luck. 

Edit: in case there is a terminology problem, page 7-23 (Chapter 7 Page 23) is the 138th page within the PDF. "page 7-23" does not mean pages 7 through 23 (which would consist of the end of the table of contents through page 2-5).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sorry, I can't help with that - it sounds like you're getting a different copy of the file than I am when I click the link you gave. The one I'm getting is labelled 2014.06.30, and on page 7-23 there is not any MII mentioned at all. 

Good luck. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry, I mistook 7-23. It is chapter 7 page 23. I think you mentioned is page 7 to page 23. I will check it and post here if I have more questions.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos