I have used Cyclone 10 LP device and I want to add feature of Remote System Update using Altera's RSU IP core, I have studied IP user guide and I have implemented the software in NIOS but I IP is not configuring.
If anybody has done such a thing then please let me know how to access RSU's registers. and What is the flow of configuration. Right now I am configuring like below:
- Set watchdog timeout value (offset 0x8)
- Enable Watchdog Timer (offset 0xC)
- Set Boot Address (offset 0x10)
- Then set Reconfiguration register to start (offset 0x1D)
Please let me know where I am doing mistake.
I have referred section 1.4 of attached document.
Before Reconfiguration you can Disable Watchdog Timer. to avoid any error.
You can refer below link example design
Also refer below links
Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.
First of All thank you for your valuable reply, I have already referred that document. But unfortunately I am configuring RSU IP core in NIOS II software not via RTL design.
Also I want to know that if I disable Watchdog Timer and in case my Application image is corrupted or not available then How system will come back in Factory Image?
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
- if Watchdog Time is disable and faulty application it will stalling the device indefinitely. by resting the device to load factory image.
- if Watchdog Time is enable and faulty application or reconfiguration trigger condition, The remote system upgrade circuitry generates a time-out signal. The time-out signal triggers the circuitry to set the user watchdog timer status bit (Wd) in the remote system upgrade status register and reconfigures the device by loading the factory configuration image.
- Look into Register Map of RSU IP for NIOS II software development.
Thanks for your support, I have followed the steps you have described above and configured RSU IP core successfully.
One more thing, we have to reset the Watch dog timer after certain interval while system is in application image, so can we have something so that we need not to reset watchdog time to reduce load on application image.
If the application configuration does not reset the user watchdog timer before time expires, the dedicated circuitry reconfigures the device with the factory configuration and resets the user watchdog timer.
So we need to reset the watchdog timer before time expires.