FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

I got an error by using MegaWizard for generating Altera PLL vhdl code : Error: Execution of script C:/Users/JASONH~1/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8114_4660919192653077533.dir/0002_pll_gen/proj.tcl failed. What should I do about this error?

JHUAN157
Beginner

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @JHUAN157​ 

In order for me to assist you.

Could you provide more info:

• what version of Quartus are you using
  • what machine are you using? Windows/Linux?
  • how to replicate
  • what debug have you done so far
    • have you tested on other machines
    • does this happen to other IP or PLL IP only?
    • does this happen to vhdl only? or verilog too?
    • what are the other debug done?
0 Kudos
JHUAN157
Beginner
JW, I am using Quartus II 64-bit Version 13.1.0, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. To replicate: In the Quartus II Window, Tools -> MegaWizard Plug-In Manager In the MegaWizard Plug-In Manager window [page 1], select “Create a new custom megafunction variation”, and click Next. In the MegaWizard Plug-In Manager window [page 2], on the left column, click on PLL -> Altera PLL V13.1. On the right column, select VHDL, and put pll.vhd in the output file field. Click on Next The Altera PLL window pops up. I did not change anything in the Altera PLL window. Everything is default. Click on Finish. Error occurs. Error: Execution of script C:/Users/JASONH~1/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8116_4978854645064875100.dir/0002_pll_gen/proj.tcl failed I have not tried other machines. I generated fifo.vhd from the FIFO IP with no errors. It happens to both vhdl and Verilog. Thanks, Jason
0 Kudos
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @JHUAN157​ 

Could you try it on a newer Quartus version, e.g. 18.1?

0 Kudos
JHUAN157
Beginner
JW, I am using Cyclone V GT FPGA Development Kit; not all the Quartus software support this device. For example, Quartus 18.1 does not support Cyclone V device. Thanks, Jason
0 Kudos
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @JHUAN157​ 

Are you referring to the Pro or Standard?

In the Standard Edition, 18.1 still supports Cyclone V.

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/?edition=standard

181 cyclone v.PNG

0 Kudos
JHUAN157
Beginner
CW, I used Quartus Prime Standard Edition 18.1 to generate the PLL IP core successfully, but my design cannot be fit in the device. The error message says “Can’t fit design in device. Modify your design to reduce resources, or choose a larger device. …” My design can be fit in this device when I use Quartus II 13.1. Thanks, Jason
0 Kudos
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @JHUAN157​ 

When you couldnt instantiate PLL, i believe all logics that was driven by your PLL was synthesized away. That's why it can fit.

I believe now that you can successfully instantiate your PLL, your logics are NOT synthesized away anymore. That's why you CANNOT fit.

In that case, you will have to revise your design to lesser resources or select a larger device.

0 Kudos