FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

I've instantiated a HDMI RX interface. it only can receive standard 1080P and 4K format. for a special 2K format(resolution 2560*1080), it cannot be parsed. Any different settings for this special resolution or it's just the feature?

EZhan
Novice

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

For once, the clocking freq maybe different for different video resolution ?

• Have you try out with HDMI example design to rule out potential Quartus design issue first ?
  • Does the HDMI RX get connected to other logic design insides FPGA core ? How do you rule out is it HDMI issue or other user logic issue ?

In short, you can also refer to HDMI user guide doc page 37 (table 15) for summary of different freq support for different TMDS data rate.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
EZhan
Novice

HI,

First, this RX interface was porting from the design example and can be used when 4K or 1080p situation. I suppose this may prove the logic is correct or not that wrong. Is that possible the reason is the special resolution issue? I upload the edid file, would you please help to check if it's a IP compatibility issue?

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

May I know how do you generate this EDID file ?

Did you dump out from monitor and then overwrite this new EDID hex file with HDMI example design original panasonic.hex EDID file in i2c_slave ?

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
EZhan
Novice

yes, I replace the EDID file link to this file in the EDID RAM ip GUI

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I checked this 2560x1080p resolution. It's ultra wide screen format 21:9 but is supported by HDMI

Typically blank screen/no output on monitor is due to insufficient HDMI bandwidth

• HDMI 2.0 support max BW of 14.4Gb/s
  • You can use below BW calculator to estimate the required HDMI BW to ensure it's less than 14.4Gb/s
  • https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp
  • Key in Total horizontal pixel = 3000, Total vertical pixel = 1100
  • Then you can play around with the colour depth setting and refresh rate setting. Keep it low
  • Try out the actual experiment in hardware to see if it helps by reducing bit per colour (disable/turn off deep colour setting) and reduce refresh rate on your GPU graphic card

The other thing is may I know how you convert the monitor EDID file into the Quartus hex file ?

• Do you still have the original EDID hex file dump from monitor so that I can verify using below EDID reader ?
  • http://www.edidreader.com/

Lastly I don't have ultra wide screen monitor to help you validate this special video resolution.

• Unless you can share with me your full Quartus design and explain your system setup to me then only I can explore whether I have the similar setup to help you test it

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I have not hear back from you for close to 2 months.

Hopefully you are making good progress on your side.

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos