FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

IP licenses: how do they work?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing contract work for another company. The design uses a Cyclone V part and will have a NIOS cpu and its associated peripherals. 

I have a fully licensed, node locked version of Quartus 17.0 of my own. What I don't have, and hope I won't need to purchase myself, are the IP licenses needed to create a sof file that is NOT time limited. 

My understanding is that it is my customer who should have the license as they are the ones who will be shipping product. I have one of their prototypes sitting on my desk which I am using to bring up the design, but the time limited aspect is really hindering me now. 

The company I am doing the contract work for has also purchased Quartus II and, according to them, the NIOS II Megacore IP license. 

So my question is if I can piggy back off their license. In other words, can I have a license file generated for my PC in addition to the license that they have. 

Thanks 

R. Mc.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you should be able to set up the Nios f license they've purchased for your machine's MAC address using the Self Service Licensing Center. They would probably have to do it from their myAltera account and generate a license file for you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The other way around is to have a floating license. This will be installed on a central server. Anyone can then use the tools and IPs licensed just by setting up the license to point to the floating license server 

ex.. LM_LICENSE_FILE = port@IP (1234@192.168.1.10) . Of course, this will work only if you're in their network or have VPN access to their internal network.
0 Kudos