FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

Internal memory usage using MegaWizard RAM: 2-port

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using 8k, 8-bit wide internal 2-port RAM. Here's the instantiation in Verilog: 

working_ram ram_test 

.data(ram_data_test), // input [7:0] data; 

.rdaddress(ram_rd_addr_test), // input [12:0] rdaddress; 

.rdclock(module_clk), // input rdclock; clk_ftdi now, will be different later.  

.wraddress(ram_wr_addr_test), // input [12:0] wraddress; 

.wrclock(module_clk), // input wrclock; 

.wren(ram_wren_test), // input wren; 

.q(ram_output_test) // output [7:0] q; 

); 

module_clk is 120 MHz. I am writing by asserting ram_wren_test and presenting it with appropriate ram_data_test and ram_wr_addr_test. However, when I try to readback by presenting it with same sequence of addresses on ram_rd_addr_test, the readback values (ram_output_test) are all 0s. Everything is @ posedge.  

Signaltap timing looks good. None of the ports are connected to any pins as this is for internal logic/storage only. The instantiation is not at top level, rather one level below it. Is the compiler optimizing out anything here? Or is there anything I'm missing in setup/settings?  

If there is a link to sample verilog code or timing on how to use internal RAM, it would be very helpful. Altera doc on RAM/ROM has a link to some .zip file which has few verilog examples , but the link is dead.  

thanks, 

swguy
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure you don't write and read same address at same time?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you sure you don't write and read same address at same time? 

--- Quote End ---  

yes, I checked: read only happens after write is complete. I also changed the IP to have read_enable and tried again; but same issue.  

thanks,
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have any issue with Dual Port Ram. Could you post .qar project?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Unable to share code due to work policy, but 3 images from signaltap are attached in zip. First image has the entire write-then-read op and next two have the zoomed in view of Wr and Rd, respectively. thanks for quick responses...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have read clock right?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yeah, forgot to mention that although I've separate rd and wr clks, for testing I'm using same module_test_clk for rd and wr.