FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Is anyone running Arria 10 FPGA EMIF IP functional simulation with Questasim simulator

VM5
Beginner

I am running EMIF IP of Arria 10 FPGA using Questasim simulator. This IP works with 1ps/1ps timescale. But Questasim simulation is running very slow with this timescale. If I change the timescale IP is not working properly.

Any suggestions to improve the simulation time?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi you may turn on the "Abstract phy for fast simulation" under the diagnostic tab.

0 Kudos
VM5
Beginner

Hi,

Running using Abstract PHY mode only

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

If abstract phy is turned on then the simulation will be varied from 10minutes to few hours depend on the interface width and PC performance. May I know how long is your simulation?

0 Kudos
VM5
Beginner

This simulation is finishing in 40 minutes with Questasim. The same simulation used to finish in 10 minutes with Synopsys VCS. That is how came to know that it is very slow in Questasim.

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

It is expected. VCS is known as fastest in simulating EMIF design.

See the comment in document as below:

Simulation times shown in this table are approximate measurements made using Synopsys VCS. Simulation times can vary considerably, depending on the IP configuration, the simulator used, and the computer or server used

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-20115.pdf#page=140

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Also, just to share, I used questasim to run a 64bits EMIF simulation before. Its takes not less than 30 minutes.

0 Kudos
VM5
Beginner

What is the timescale you are using?

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Default per IP setting.

0 Kudos