FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Is it currently possible to buy a license for the full fledged NIOS II?

johnny_mnemonic
Beginner

Is it currently possible to buy a license for the full fledged NIOS II?

I want to use the full fledged NIOS II in my personal projects (retro video games related stuff).

I made an order in Mouser store and I don't have any information after a 4 days waiting. They say they are waiting to for the response (from Intel I guess).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Welcome to INTEL forum. Apologize for the inconvenience happen, Mouser is the authorized seller of the products that you are purchasing. It is better that you could refer to them.

kindly refer below for Intel® Authorized Distributors and Approved Suppliers near you.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html       

0 Kudos
johnny_mnemonic
Beginner

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I got an answer from them finally.

They (Mouser) said the manufacturer (hi Intel!) can't sell it to a private person but only a company.

Is this written anywhere in the legal documents? I started my project knowing that in the end I will be able to buy the full fledged NIOS II (f) and now it's bummer guys... I can't make a company just for buying IP. It's a bit weird.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. To be honest, I’m not sure regarding the terms and condition of the legal document to buy IP Software as this is control by marketing team. Let me check and see.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Upon checking, As per internal policy & system, we will need to have a company name for order processing. As long as customer can provide company name to Mouser, we are able to process the license.

0 Kudos
john_mnemon
Beginner

thank you very much for the clarifiaction!

but now another question arises:

i can do something about company. but can you please check if i have a company should i have to buy the full version of Quartus for 3k usd for using the full fledged NIOS?

thanks!

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Nios can be used in any edition of Quartus.  What is your target device family?

0 Kudos
john_mnemon
Beginner

Yes it's true that NIOS can be used in any version of Quartus.

I meant it seems you can't add the license for NIOS II (f) into a free version of Quartus as long as it lacks the license functionality. It's not 100% though.

Two persons from two different official distributors (from different countries) told me that.

Maybe the Intel employee will confirm it as well soon.

The only thing I still don't understand why there is no information about that all. Because it's quite critical information.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We apologize for the delay and the inconvenience happen. Regrettably, from checking you need to have full version of Quartus license for NIOS II (f). Yes, I agree with you on the lag of important information. I will feedback to internal team about this and add the information for future release enhancement.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. If you don’t have any further question, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
john_mnemon
Beginner

Thank you for your help and clarification!

The problem was solved by using a 3rd party cpu core.

0 Kudos