FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Is it possible to create an SRAM with Byte Enable and implement it on MLABs(Memory LABs) resources ?

AAbro1
Beginner

I used the Verilog code below:

module Memory( input we, clk, input [5:0] waddr, raddr, // address width = 6 input [3:0] be, // 4 bytes per word input [31:0] wdata, // byte width = 8, 4 bytes per word output reg [31:0] q // byte width = 8, 4 bytes per word ); // use a multi-dimensional packed array //to model individual bytes within the word (* ramstyle = "MLAB, no_rw_check" *) logic [3:0][7:0] ram[0:63];// # words = 1 << address width always_ff@(posedge clk) begin if(we) begin if(be[0]) ram[waddr][0] <= wdata[7:0]; if(be[1]) ram[waddr][1] <= wdata[15:8]; if(be[2]) ram[waddr][2] <= wdata[23:16]; if(be[3]) ram[waddr][3] <= wdata[31:24]; end q <= ram[raddr]; end endmodule

=> In the fit report I found that fitter used Logic LABs resources not MLABs, and as you can see in the Verilog I added ramstyle attribute with MLAB parameter.

How can I make fitter use MLAB resources in this case?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kenny_Tan

What you can do is right click the .vhdl -> insert template.

From there, look for the byte enable template and use it.

Usually, due to different coding style, it would be hard for the Quartus to determined the code to be infer. Let's us know if you still failed to infer after this.

0 Kudos
AAbro1
Beginner

I tried the solution above and added the ramstyle attribute to force MLAB utilization:

attribute ramstyle : string; attribute ramstyle of ram : signal is "MLAB, no_rw_check";

After compiling I found that fitter used logic LABs resources not MLABs as desired.

Is there any other solution?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

May I know what device that you were using? Can you attached your design.qar here?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos