FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Is there a Pipelined bridge for Quartus 6.0?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know if the Pipeline Bridge component for the current versions of Quartus II is available as a version 6.0 SOPC component? I'm trying to speed up fmax on nios2 to 100Mhz on a Cyclone II grade -8, by separating it from the sdram (SDR) and other periferals. I want to operate the rest of the design at the maximum available 133Mhz... any ideas? So far I can only get to about 95 Mhz on Nios2. 

--Daniel
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See here: avalon bridges project (http://www.niosforum.com/pages/project_details.php?p_id=85&t_id=18

Not sure separating Nios from the SDRAM controller is the smart thing to do though...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I have already tried these bridges with little to poorer performance. I noticed that there was an exported Read_Write_Full signal to the SOPC top level. That seemed wrong. Almost like that signal should have been tied to Avalon for wait state generation.  

Anyhow, I have a VGA dma master which cannot function below 110Mhz, and I'm quite sure that I'll never achieve that with the nios2 in my current device; even if I place all other periferals behind the bridge. I tried operating nios2 in a slower clock domain, but we all know what kind of penalty this causes in terms of clock cycles per transfer....completly unacceptable. On a side note, I recall reading or hearing somewhere that the generated ram cannot operate at these frequencies. Can anyone confirm, so I don't have to hunt the datasheet down?
0 Kudos