FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

LVDS SERDES IP with cascaded downstream PLL

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have a question about cascaded downstream PLLs.

I created a LVDS SERDES core with internal PLL.

I selected an additional output to use this clock as a PLL refclk input for my downstream PLL.

Is this a valid connection to get the clock from SERDES as upstream PLL to connect a downstream PLL?

I've connected the locked-output to the permit_cal-input of the downstream PLL.

Furthermore I've connected the additional clock output to the adjpllin-input.

Downstream PLL has High-Bandwidth setting, of course.

During Fitter (Plan - stage) I receive this critical warning:

Critical Warning: Could not find PLL ref clock that feeds io_pll|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|s10_iopll.fourteennm_pll|outclk[0]

Furthermore I saw this info:

Info(18386): io_pll|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|outclk[0] (1824 fanout) drives clock Sectors (4, 3) to (6, 3)

and checked the PLL Usage Summary for this downstream IO PLL where the pll_cascade_in is detected correctly:

-- PLL_CASCADE_IN source:

rx_lvds_serdes|core|arch_inst|pll_inst|internal_pll|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|s10_iopll.fourteennm_pll

I really want to take care that there is no issue in the connection and try to avoid any critical warnings in my design.

Could you maybe help me to find the reason for this critical warning and how to avoid it? 

Is there any issue in my connection from SERDES LVDS (internal PLL) to downstream IO PLL?

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael

Thanks for your inquiry.

In general, we don't use output clocks from LVDS SERDES IP as the purpose to cascade another PLL. Are you creating your design using Platform Designer? 

In Platform Designer, I don't see a valid connection from output clocks of LVDS SERDES IP to the adjpllin of the cascaded PLL, in fact, the connection from cascade_out of an upstream PLL to the adjpllin of downstream PLL is available.

Thanks.

Eng Wei

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael

Thanks for your inquiry.

In general, we don't use output clocks from LVDS SERDES IP as the purpose to cascade another PLL. Are you creating your design using Platform Designer? 

In Platform Designer, I don't see a valid connection from output clocks of LVDS SERDES IP to the adjpllin of the cascaded PLL, in fact, the connection from cascade_out of an upstream PLL to the adjpllin of downstream PLL is available.

Thanks.

Eng Wei

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

Yes I was using the platform designer. I just thought I can connect a downstream PLL due to info in SERDES LVDS IP that a downstream PLL should have High Bandwidth setting. I assumed I can connect an additional outclk to adjpllin and the locked to the permit_cal signal (like general IO PLL cascading).

Now I have created an external PLL which is connected to the LVDS SERDES block and use a cascade-out from external PLL for my downstream PLL.

Using this connection there is no critical warning in my design and fitter result shows all clocks which I have configured.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael

Great that the issue is going away and I hope this suit your design needs. I am currently transitioning this case to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Eng Wei

0 Kudos