FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

LVDS and PLL IP on DE1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to implement a LVDS to RGB converter in the DE1 board. 

I am using the LVDS and PLL IP Megafunction. I used as a template the "Design Example 2: Cyclone II ALTLVDS Using External PLL Option" from the ALTLVDS Megafunction User Guide. I changed the FPGA used because it's not the exact same one as in the DE1 board. 

Then when I am assigning the pins to the expansion header of the DE1 board (I also precise in the "I/O Standard": LVDS), Quartus Fitter gives me the following error: 

"Error: Can't place PLL "lvds_pll:inst2|altpll:altpll_component|pll" -- I/O pin "ref_clock" (port type INCLK of the PLL) is assigned to a location which is not connected to port type INCLK of any PLL on the device" 

Can somebody explain to me what this error means and how I can solve it? 

Thank you in advance, 

Meach
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Meach, 

You probably use an ordinary I/O pin for your ref_clock. 

You ref_clock must be connected to a dedicated clock input. 

Success, Ton
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Ton, 

Yes I am using one I/O pin from the expansion header because I thought that I need to get somehow the LVDS clock. 

If I want the LVDS data to be synchronised, how can it be if I don't have its clock in input? 

Meach
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Aditionally, you can't use LVDS with the DE1. 

The GPIO pins are connected to a bank powered at 3.3V VCCIO.  

For LVDS, they'd have to be connected to a back with 2.5V VCCIO and have the proper external resistors. 

Among the examples and documentation of the DE1 board, you should have a mock up project that contains just an empty top level and all the correct pin assignments. 

I suggest you take it as base for any project you do on the DE1.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh great! 

There is no possibilities to use it anyway with the DE1?  

For the pin assignment I prefer doing it myself for any project. I prefer to check them anyway every time and so far I do not need to assign every time all the pin of the board. 

Meach
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So like rbugalho wrote: no LVDS for DE1. Too bad. 

But if you ever gonna design your own board, make sure your LVDS-clocks are connected to a pinpair labeled "LVDSCLK" in http://www.altera.com/literature/dp/cyclone2/ep2c20_ep2c15a_ep2c20a.pdf. And make sure the external termination is right (I used 100 Ohm with success). 

Good luck, Ton
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For now I am only interested in development board but if I will design my own one later, I will keep that in mind. 

Also this is a bit off topic but basically if I want to use the LVDS protocol with a development board, I have to make sure that the board has adjustable Input Signal Levels, right? 

rbugalho said that it should be connected to 2.5 VCCIO. But I read that the maximum input voltage of LVDS is 2.4 V. So for example with 1.8 VCCIO, will it work? 

Thank you 

Meach
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To use LVDS with a development board, the board needs to have a LVDS interface. 

IIRC, the Cyclone III starter kit has. 

VCCIO is the voltage that powers the I/O elements. The maximum LVDS signal voltage is 2.4V but the FPGA I/O elements must be powered with 2.5V for LVDS. 

Trying to use LVDS with 1.8V VCCIO is not document anywhere, AFAIK, and it will problably not work.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok thank you rbugalho, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! 

I made some research and instead of looking for another development kit I think I will go for a Quad Link LVDS Interface HSMC Daughtercard + GPIO-HSMC Card and the DE1. 

Meach