FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

MAX 10 Ethernet SFP Solution

OCphy
Beginner

Greetings.

I would like to use the MAX 10 FPGA in an design which requires Ethernet connectivity. Can I implement a Cu SFP to connect the Ethernet to the FPGA?

I have reviewed the Triple Speed Ethernet Intel FPGA IP user guide document and the MAX10 TSE ON Board PHY Design Example User Guide. The MAX 10 kit example is with an external PHY; and the documentation related to the subject states that an SFP can be used with the Triple Speed Ethernet Intel FPGA IP core but I see that there are nuances with the usage with respect to device families. However, I am unable to confirm if the MAX 10 FPGA can be used with an SFP - in my case a copper SFP.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Deshi_Intel

Thanks Rex for the explanation.

Just to top up further on Rex input here.

Yes, different FPGA product family may have slightly variance of different TSE IP support feature.

I looked at the TSE IP in Max10 and it only support Ethernet MAC and none of the physical layer.

• Max 10 TSE MAC IP only expose GMII or RGMII interface to be connected to external PHY chip
  • Whether the external PHY chip can be connected to SFP port or not will depends on the external PHY chip capability

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ReX_TeCH
New Contributor I

Hi @OCphy 

Hope you are doing well, thanks for posting your query.

I would like to inform you that SFP ports can accommodate both copper and fiber optic cable connections. The use of a copper or fiber optic cable depends on the data transfer capabilities of the SFP transceiver.

For example, if your network application requires data transfer rates of up to 1 Gbps at 100 meters or less, you could use a standard Cat 6 Ethernet cable with your SFP. The traditional SFP specification, created by the Small Form Factor Committee , only allows for data transfer rates of up to 1 Gbps, and the Cat 6 sports a 1Gbps transfer rate as well. Basically, these two are a match made in data communications heaven.

If you need faster transfer rates for your application, you’d use an SFP+ or QSFP+ transceiver with a fiber optic cable, which can extend much further than 100 meters without sacrificing performance. The SFP+ and QSFP+ specifications support transfer rates of up to 10 Gbps and 40 Gbps, respectively - a plus for sure. Technically, you could use a higher-category Ethernet cable with an SFP+ transceiver, but you’d be limited to around 30 meters of cabling.

Also refer : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf  [page no 13&14]

Hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

ReX_TeCH
(Independent Advisor)

0 Kudos
OCphy
Beginner

Thanks for the information ReX_TeCH.

Regards,

OCphy

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Thanks Rex for the explanation.

Just to top up further on Rex input here.

Yes, different FPGA product family may have slightly variance of different TSE IP support feature.

I looked at the TSE IP in Max10 and it only support Ethernet MAC and none of the physical layer.

• Max 10 TSE MAC IP only expose GMII or RGMII interface to be connected to external PHY chip
  • Whether the external PHY chip can be connected to SFP port or not will depends on the external PHY chip capability

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
OCphy
Beginner

Thanks for the explanation dlim - I will use a GMII/RGMII external PHY chip and RJ-45/magnetics to connect to the Ethernet since a direct connection from an SFP to the MAX 10 FPGA is not supported.

Regards,

OCphy

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Alright, good luck in your project development.

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Feel free to file new forum thread if you have new enquiry in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos