FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

MII TSE Deisgn

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i have a few problems with my TSE design. I want to use MII between the MAC and PHY (DP83848C), which is supported by the IP-Core. 

I have successfully set up a communication over RGMII on the DE2-115 board from Terasic with the help of a guide from Altera, "Using Triple-Speed Ethernet on DE2-115 Boards". Now I want to port the system to a DE0-Nano with an external PHY.  

I choose GMII/MII in the TSE configuration, I use my code from the DE2-115 board with a few changes for 100MBit mode, the LEDs on the external board are blinking, but I cant receive anything. I think there is something wrong with my PHY initialization, but I don't know what. Is someone here who has a full working setup with the DP83848C over MII? I'm working with Quartus 16.1 and don't use Iniche or something, I want to use the plain C interface like in de guideline from Altera. 

If there is something more you want to know, don't be afraid to ask. 

Hope for a reply, 

Donni
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Donni, 

we use the TSE with a Marvell 88E1111 Phy. When changing from GMII/RGMII to MII I use a clock mux for the tx_clk. In case of 100MBit the Phy provides a 25 MHz clock. In 1000MBit mode the tx_clk (125 MHz) is generated in the FPGA. 

May be you have to consider this for the Phy you using? 

regards 

Jens
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Jens, 

thanks for your reply. I am not sure if I have a clock problem or an initialization problem (in C Code). I generate a 25 MHz clock with the FPGA for the PHY and I don't need a 125 MHz clock because I only use a 100Mbit PHY on the DE0/Nano. Are you using the Iniche TCP Stack or are you initialize the TSE by yourself? 

Nobody here, who hast a working setup with a DP83848C PHY? 

regards, 

Donni
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, o.k. Yes I'm using Iniche Stack.