FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

MegaWizard FIFO scfifo is broken

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Can anyone confirm that the Megawizard single clock fifo (scfifo) does not work correctly in the usedw, almost_full, and full outputs? When I try to use this form of the fifo (with a single clock for input and output) those signals are just not right. 

I'm using a Cyclone III FPGA (but it should not matter which hardware it uses). I'm looking at the ModelSim simulator results. 

I have set up a simple fifo of 8 bit words and 8 words long. Then I start clocking in bytes. For the first 2 bytes the signals seem OK, the usedw begins to count up and after the latency the empty flag goes false. But as I clock in more bytes the usedw count never increases past 2 and the almost_full and full flags never go true. I am not reading any bytes out, just trying to load them into the fifo for now. 

If I try the same thing with the dual clock form of the fifo it works perfectly. 

Anyone noticed this trouble?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Please post your testbench.