FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5886 Discussions

[ NCO ] numerically controlled oscillators

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i have simulated this NCO IP using small ROM options.Then i run the tcl script to simulate the waveform in modelsim.  

Now was it possible to display this sin and cos waveform on the oscilloscope? Using the audio out? 

The board i am using is altera DE2 board and do please tell me the step on displaying this signal on oscilloscope or vga.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Connect a DAC to it's output. You can use Video DAC for that I suppose, but I am not sure about audio DAC, since there is audio codec, not simple dac on DE2.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

by video DAC are you referring to Video in port and connect it to oscilloscope?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, video out. 

As described in DE2 I/O features: 

Video Out (VGA 10-bit DAC)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok so i need to use the vga to pc lcd monitor but i could not find the info in nco manual to send the signal to the monitor. I wish it was easy like assigning the 7-bit segment like i use to do it in verilog.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, connect NCO output to one of the DAC colors input and stick oscilloscope probe to that color pin in the VGA connector.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

does assigning the input sine wave to the rgb pin using the pin planner enough for this? or do i need to implement it in the vga_driver.v

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure, check the datasheet of the DAC. Should be enough, since vga driver needs to generate vertical and horizontal timing impulses, which are not needed in this case.