FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

OTA configuration process on Cyclone V FPGA via QSPI flash

SnehalB
Beginner

Hi ,

i want to know about OTA configuration process on Cyclone V FPGA

we are using Cyclone V E series FPGA and want to interface QSPI flash for FPGA configuration and also may be for some data.

QSPI flash will be having sort of two partition one will have default/backup FPGA configuration image and other partition will have reflashable configuration image, we want to have FPGA design such that it will receive OTA (over the air) FPGA bistream file over the USB interface which (image) need to be flashed in QSPI flash through fpga only not through any external device / processor and nor by Nios ip block.  Then make FPGA to boot from new Flash configuration image  through AS interface.

so for this setup please guide us for what IP core we need to use , which interface need to be used and where should be flash memory attached on IO. required a design Flow. what will be max working clock frequency can be.

FPGA = cyclone V E A4 series (non HPS version)

QSPI FLASH = MT25QU256 or MT25QL512

SnehalB_0-1645786581082.png

thanks & Regards!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
SnehalB
Beginner

hi yaun,

thanks for the reply, i have some doubt for using remote update IP 

1] for using this IP do we need to connected external flash memory to dedicated AS configuration IO on Cyclone V FPGA for QSPI flash

2] what is max frequency at which we can run this IP and configuration?

also I tried instantiating with below settings but getting error. 

SnehalB_0-1646047758075.png

Error (169310): Design has remote update block "axi_control_block:axi_control_block_i|spi_recievers:spi_recievers_i|spi_recievers_remote_update_0:remote_update_0|altera_remote_update_core:remote_update_core|sd1", but the selected configuration scheme "Passive Serial" does not support remote update

Did we miss something , kindly help us to solve this

thanks & regards!

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Please find my response below:

1] for using this IP do we need to connected external flash memory to dedicated AS configuration IO on Cyclone V FPGA for QSPI flash

Yes, you need to connect QSPI flash with it.

2] what is max frequency at which we can run this IP and configuration?

20MHz for Cyclone V.

3) Error (169310): Design has remote update block "axi_control_block:axi_control_block_i|spi_recievers:spi_recievers_i|spi_recievers_remote_update_0:remote_update_0|altera_remote_update_core:remote_update_core|sd1", but the selected configuration scheme "Passive Serial" does not support remote update

It seems like you have selected "Passive Serial" in the setting? Can you change it to “Active Serial”?

“tools -> Device and Pin Options -> Configuration -> Configuration Scheme”

0 Kudos