FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

PCIE Configuration Space Register access from Avalon-MM port

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using SOPC Builder to generate PCIE Hard IP, is there a way to access the Configuration Space Register through Avalon-MM port? 

Thank you. 

zeahr
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I have the same question, I'm using the QSyS to generate PCIE Hard IP, is there a way to access the Configuration Space Register through Avalon-MM port employing the NIOS? 

Thanks 

Mario
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Users need to use the host PC software driver and do a configuration read in order to access the PCIe Hard IP Configuration Space registers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear skbeh 

Thanks for your response. Please, could you explain what are the reasons? 

Mario
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For Avalon-MM, only host PC (root port) driver can do a configuration read type 1 to the endpoint 

in order to access the Configuration Space registers. No any special reason.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Configuration Space Register and AVMM Control and Status Register are two different things. 

CRA module is only for accessing our PCI Express's Avalon-MM bridge control and status registers (not the PCIe Configuration Space Register). 

From Table 5-11 of Cyclone V AvMM PCIe User Guide, this address range is targetting the PCIe Interrupt  

registers. Most of the value will be "0" when read back when PCIe interrupt is not enabled.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear skbeh 

About this topic, in the “IP Compiler for PCI Express User Guide”, page 4-3(61) says "The Avalon-MM PCIe reconfig bus which can access any read-only configuration space register". In page 5-38(124) mention the chapter 13, where in table 13-1 shows the configuration space register. So I understand that the reconfig bus can access the configuration space; but it is accessed only by the IP, so the use of the QSYS is not directly. Is that true? 

In the case specific of the reconfiguration, it implies Dynamic Reconfiguration, so do you know what are the considerations/things I will need in order to employ that to access the PCI EXPRESS Configuration Space Register? 

Thanks 

Mario
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is true, the use of the QSYS is not directly.  

Qsys can access the CRA, but not the configuration space register because it's not reside within the CRA address range.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To use the dynamic reconfiguration block, firstly the PCIe Reconfig option on the System Settings page needs to enable.  

But the reconfig block is only available when the PCIe core is instantiated in Megawizard, it's not available in Qsys.
0 Kudos