FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5982 Discussions

PCIe-Ethernet Bridge help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I am working with Arria V GT and want to make standard Ethernet controller like Intel 82599. 

So, i have correct PCS block (tested) and want to use 2 IP cores - Avalon MM DMA for PCI Express and Ethernet MAC. They was tested individually, but i have some problem in building the whole system.  

There are 2 Avalon ST signals after Ethernet MAC IP, but DMA IP for PCIe use Avalon MM interface to onchip_memory(RAM). Have any idea, how can i connect Avalon ST data from MAC and RAM with Avalon MM interface. Maybe i need 2 another DMAs(modular MM-to-ST and ST-to-MM) to connect Avalon ST(from MAC) and RAM. Or maybe this memory is unnecessary generally and i can use DMA directly form Avalon ST to PCIe? And, how can i get statistics how much Ethernet packets lost in DMA transaction? Please, help me with any ideas. 

Thanks all!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We are also working on similar type of design on Cycleon V FPGA Board to access SD Card through our custom SDHC Host Controller which has one DMA Controller for PCIe-SD Bridge Inteface. Now, I want to read/write data from/to SD Card through my Linux PCie Driver using Chaining DMA. 

Do I need to connect DMA Read & Write Master Port to one of BAR region from FPGA design to read/write data on SD Card from Linux System? or Can I Directly use DMA without assigning into any BAR Region? 

Please let me know if anyone has idea about that. 

Regards, 

Ritesh Prajapati