FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5887 Discussions

PCIe Memory Write Transaction

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am facing an issue while performing memory write transaction with payload more than 128Bytes from root to endpoint. Write transaction with less than 128Bytes are completed easily. I have checked the BAR size its 256KB. Maximum payload size is also 2KB (maximum). I have tried almost every thing.... 

Can somebody guess what the issue is....
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see a similar behavior, I try to transfer 128 bytes, but see two bursts, each 64 byte. 

My guess is it is related to the cache line size. I have set the max payload size to 512 bytes and expected one 128 byte burst. But I see the two 64 byte bursts.  

I use the 64 bit st interface.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But i am facing some thing different. Whenever i perform 128Bytes write transaction it is received at the avalon side of endpoint correctly, in a single burst. Write transaction with more than 128Bytes payload are entirely not visible at the receive side of endpoint

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From various threads i found that most of the people are using multiple 128Bytes payload to transfer payload more than 128Bytes!!! Is there any restriction that prohibits TLPs with more than 128Bytes payload?????

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

128 bytes is the likely limit for a single PCIe memory transfer. 

I don't know if it is a hard limit in the PCIe protocol, or whether the ends can negotiate a different value. 

However it is probably getting near to the point of diminishing returns. 

Remember, a PCIe request is actually an HDLC frame - cannot be actioned until the crc has been checked (etc).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think there is a configuration space register that is needed to be programmed otherwise i saw the endpoint example that is generated by megafunction. In their example endpoint is performing much larger memory write transactions.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Finally i picked out what was wrong..... 

I haven't programmed the device control register. There is a field that indicates the maximum payload transfer in a single TLP and the default value was 3'b000 (i.e. 128Bytes) changing it to 2KB(3'b100) solved my problem.  

Thanks to all of you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I did a simple write Transaction with C Code under LINUX. 

Please can anybody give me an advice how I can do a simple Read/Write Transaction with VHDL (for example LED turn On/Off) without the need to test under Linux? 

Regards,
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can any one plz tell me how to perform simple memory read and write operation . the user guide of pcie is confusing me .