FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

PCIe with DMA interface locks RD_DMA_LAST_PTR reaches 127 (7F)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have PCIe Hard IP with internal DMA interface (14.0 compiled). I wrote a PC window 7 device driver. When RD_DMA_LAST_PTR reaches 0x7Fsoftare writes 0x7F and the last descriptor ID to the PTR. The DMA completes the operation and status has been set to 1, and interrupt is sent. But it locks up.  

Anyone has any idea what is wrong.  

Thank you, 

David
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi David 

Probably you can firstly try use the PCIe Avmm DMA example design and its software Driver that available at below link instead of your own driver. 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/reference_design:_gen3_x8_avmm_256-bit_dma_for_external_ddr3_-_stratix_v
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why not you firstly try to use the PCIe Avmm DMA example design and its software Driver available at below link instead of your own driver. 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/reference_design:_gen3_x8_avmm_256-bit_dma_for_external_ddr3_-_stratix_v
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Skbeh, 

I have Cyclone V only. I have work around with this issue with driver to 128 a time. DMA is fast, it doesn't have any performance hit.  

Thank you,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If your DMA controller is doing Avalon burst transfers into the Txs port of the PCIe block then the maximum burst size is limited to (I believe) that which will normally generate a single TLP - ie burst 16 giving TLPs of 128 bytes with a 64bit interface. 

The 'simple' dma controller can't be configured to do that for lomng transfers. 

The 'scatter-gather' DMA controller can, but it is a bit like using an atomic bomb to shell a peanut. 

OTOH if you are talking about the new DMA interface within the PCIe block itself I can't help.
0 Kudos