FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

PIO core on SOPC builder?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Did anyone used parallel I/O (PIO) core with Avalon on SOPC builder? 

Is it possible to write custom driver for this core inside NIOS? 

I am checking possibility to use this core to replace my custom component on SOPC builder. I have different data ports (1-bit to 20-bit) in my custom component, configuring and communicating with off-chip devices. I find PIO as the alternative solution and its inbuild component in SOPC builder, which makes life easier! 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean by custom driver? When you add a PIO core to the SOPC system, you can then just write to the registers to access the ports. 

Include the altera_avalon_pio_regs.h file and use the IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_* and IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_* macros. 

EDIT: I think I understood what you meant after having sent the reply... If you want to have a specific device with read, write and ioctl calls, you should be able to do that by copying the folder C:\altera\8*\ip\sopc_builder_ip\altera_avalon_pio in your project ip folder and change the driver from there. You may have to change the class name in the ptf and tcl files to avoid a conflict with the actual PIO core.
0 Kudos