FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

PIO performance

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I use IORD and IOWR to control the PIO and it seems the speed will be no more than 15MHz. Is there any way to accelerate?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

use SG-DMA.(scatter gather DMA).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks akira. Could you give me details about how to use it in SOPC and control it in Nios? I read the document but it was not that clear.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

since I don't have much time to tell you. 

I just tell you a point. 

- SOPC builder has SG-DMA. 

- SG-DMA creates Avalon-ST data stream. 

- sample of DMA is in NiosII IDE template. 

it may take time to learn by yourself. 

but you need this skill if you need more than 100MB/sec. 

I'm sorry for now.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks again. I will try to understand it. Please leave me some detail/hint when you have time

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI it's not that the PIO is slow, the processor accessing the PIO can't access it every clock cycle. If you wired a DMA up to the PIO you could potentially change the output every clock cycle.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

great solution BadOmen !!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BadOmen, 

Could you explain more about the HDL driver? I read the document about these APIs. Do you mean that I need to give the base address of some PIO to sgdma? 

It will be perfect that you can show me a simply diagram of the whole connection. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's pretty easy actually. With the DMA you basically read a buffer from memory and have the DMA write to a fixed address. The bit in the control field for writing to a fixed address is called "WCON" I think. There is something similar in the SGDMA but I forget what the bit is called. Take a look at this design, it does something similar: http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-crc-acceleration.html (http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-crc-acceleration.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=crc)

0 Kudos