FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

PIO performance

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I use IORD and IOWR to control the PIO and it seems the speed will be no more than 15MHz. Is there any way to accelerate?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

use SG-DMA.(scatter gather DMA).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks akira. Could you give me details about how to use it in SOPC and control it in Nios? I read the document but it was not that clear.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

since I don't have much time to tell you. 

I just tell you a point. 

- SOPC builder has SG-DMA. 

- SG-DMA creates Avalon-ST data stream. 

- sample of DMA is in NiosII IDE template. 

it may take time to learn by yourself. 

but you need this skill if you need more than 100MB/sec. 

I'm sorry for now.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks again. I will try to understand it. Please leave me some detail/hint when you have time

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI it's not that the PIO is slow, the processor accessing the PIO can't access it every clock cycle. If you wired a DMA up to the PIO you could potentially change the output every clock cycle.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

great solution BadOmen !!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BadOmen, 

Could you explain more about the HDL driver? I read the document about these APIs. Do you mean that I need to give the base address of some PIO to sgdma? 

It will be perfect that you can show me a simply diagram of the whole connection. 

Thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's pretty easy actually. With the DMA you basically read a buffer from memory and have the DMA write to a fixed address. The bit in the control field for writing to a fixed address is called "WCON" I think. There is something similar in the SGDMA but I forget what the bit is called. Take a look at this design, it does something similar: http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-crc-acceleration.html (http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-crc-acceleration.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=c...)