FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Problem : DSP builder simulink block installation into MATLAB simulink.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear friends, 

I am working on image proccessing project for that, i need to install DSP builder simulink block into MATLAB simulink. 

I have license version of altera 7.1 suit and MATLAB R2009b. 

I tried 4-5 times to install both. 

In first trial, I installed MATLAB first and than DSP builder. 

In second trial I installed DSP builder first and than MATLAB. 

But problem is that its' blocks are not shown into simulink every time. 

Once I formatted my PC,too. But it didn't work. 

I read installation guide of DSP builder and run command 'alt_dspbuilder_setup_megacore' 

in MATLAB, but it didn't worked. 

I read installation guide of DSP builder.It says that you need to make matlab folder READ only. but how it possible to make it read only,if I first install DSP builder? 

Give my clear way for DSP builder installation. 

Regards, 

Ronak Shah. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No you need to make sure the matlab folder is NOT read-only. DSP Builder needs to write to <MATLAB>/toolbox/local/classpath.txt and <MATLAB>/toolbox/local/pathdef.m where <MATLAB> refers to the directory where you installed MATLAB. Just use file explorer to go that directory and modify the file permissions. Or re-install MATLAB and don't tick the box that says make the files read-only - I think that exists, but it's been a while since I installed MATLAB. 

On the other hand I doubt DSP Builder 7.1 will work with MATLAB R2009b.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's still not working. 

I have checked for dsp builder 7.1 and matlab 7.5. 

regards, 

ronak:mad:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MATLAB 7.5 is R2007b, I believe. The supported versions are R14 SP3, R2006a, R2006b, or R2007a (according to http://www.altera.com/literature/rn/rn_dsp_builder_71.pdf). 

Next option is to try to set up your classpath manually. Go to <MATLAB>/toolbox/local/classpath.txt and load it into a text editor. At the bottom of the file, there should be something like: 

# DSPBuilder START 

<quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/dspb_sblocks.jar 

dummyline 

# DSPBuilder END 

If these lines aren't there, then add them substituting the correct path for <quartus_path> as you go. 

Next, restart MATLAB and type "cd <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab". Then then type "setupDSPBuilderPath install <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/mdllibrary". (substituting for quartus_path as before). That should finish with out errors and finally print "DSP Builder path saved." if it worked correctly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanxs, 

DSP builder blocks are installed ok.All DSP .mdl are opening in matlab fine,it give some error mentioned in picture1.wat r they? 

But it gives me error when I run it, as an example when I run singen.mdl from DSP builder example it gives Err(perhaps java is not running), as attached picture below picture2.:):)wat r they?how to remove them? 

Regards, 

Ronak Shah.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have no idea what that file is, but it's not a zip archive and even if it was, it would be better to just upload it as a picture file like png or jpg.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

thanx, 

it is workinkg file but when I compile the program for DSP builder in matlab to generate HDL code it gives err that "it has on license file"

how to get license file for dsp builder? i have altera design suit 7.1 comes with FPGA kit. 

Regards, 

Ronak Shah.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

Plz any body can help me to get license file or DSP builder v7.1? 

Regards, 

Ronak Shah.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

talk to your local Altera distributor.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Myself Sumanta is facing a problem regarding the installation of Altera (Quartus II) toolbox in Matlab (r2013a). I have installed Quartus 9.1, but as mentioned the mentioned lines - 

# DSPBuilder START 

<quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/dspb_sblocks.jar 

dummyline 

# DSPBuilder END 

are not there in the Matlab path (<MATLAB>/toolbox/local/classpath.txt).  

On using the command -  

1) (cd <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab), the error is coming as - (Error using cd, Cannot CD to <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab (Directory access failure). 

2) (setupDSPBuilderPath install <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/mdllibrary), error is - (Undefined function 'setupDSPBuilderPath' for input arguments of type 'char'.) 

3) (cd <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab), error is - (Error using cd, Cannot CD to <quartus_path>/dsp_builder/bin/matlab (Directory access failure). 

Please suggest me for some solutions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You've not substituted for <quartus_path>. Since you could install quartus anywhere I had to give generic instructions with placeholders.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to start MATLAB through the "dsp_builder.bat" file inside the dsba folder

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i've got the same problem and i sloved it just now. you can try this: in window os,start->all programmer->altera->dsp builder->start in matlab 20XXX.then you may see the dsp builder library. 

good luck
0 Kudos