FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Problem in building a LCD panel controller in SOPC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use the quartus II 9.0, 

I want to creat a TFT controller , but got some problem: 

TFT panel : 800*480 、24bit parallel RGB(three colors in parallel)data out; 

question 1: 

in video sync generator 

Data stream bit width:24 

Beats per pixel:1  

in pixel converter (bgr0-> bgr) 

Source symbols per beat:3 

error: 

the source has 8 bits per symbol while the sink has 24; 

the source has 3 symbols per beat while the sink has 1; 

I feel puzzled with this,  

In 24bit parallel RGB, what parameters should set in above two blocks? 

or Video sync generator can’t generate 24bit parallel RGB signals? 

question 2: 

I use a 8bit data width sdram,but set the the data width of SGDMS to 64bit? is that proper? 

question 3: 

I download nios_lcd_3c120 design example from Altera,but it didn’t use frame buffer block of video and image processing, does frame buffer block is a new block of quartus II 9.0? is it necessary to use this block to build buffer in external memory ? (nios_lcd_3c120 doesn’tuse) 

And how to use it?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

question 3: 

I download nios_lcd_3c120 design example from Altera,but it didn’t use frame buffer block of video and image processing, does frame buffer block is a new block of quartus II 9.0? is it necessary to use this block to build buffer in external memory ? (nios_lcd_3c120 doesn’tuse) 

And how to use it? 

Reply: Hi, 

I am using nios_lcd_3c120 desing to use LCD controller on 3c120 board. Yes it does not need the frame buffer block of VIP suite. Instead it uses DDR2 SD RAM as buffer memory which you can use as a heap/stack/program memory. 

Why do you want to use frame buffer?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. 

Quatus II provide a framebuffer IP,and i just don't know how to use it. 

As in nios_lcd_3c120 desing example,tired LCD_sgdma directly to the sdram,i don't understand how it works.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Please refer Video and Image Processing (VIP) suite User guide. It deals in details about all the VIP suite components. 

LCD SGDMA is essentially a DMA bases video pipeline. You may refer "Nios II 3C120 Microprocessor with LCD Controller Data Sheet" for more details.
0 Kudos