FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Problem in download bitstream on Stratix 10 MX board

Pramod_p
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to work with the following design example. 

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/18.1.0/Pro/pci-express-gen3-x16-avmm-dma-with-hbm2-memory-reference-design/

I am able to compile the design for our Stratix 10 MX Board (Device : 1SM21CHU1F53E1VG (16GB HBM2)).

Quartus Version : 21.2

When I try to download the bitstream, it stops around 85%, giving the following error:

Error(18950): Device has stopped receiving configuration data
Error(18948): Error message received from device: Device is in configuration state.
Error(209012): Operation failed

Can anyone let me know, what can be the solution for this ?

P.S: I am able to download other basic example involving PCIe endpoint. 

Regards,

Pramod

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if your refclk is stable for the HBM2 and PCIe interface? You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-config.pdf Table 53 on the debug checklist for the configuration issue.

0 Kudos
Pramod_atintel
Employee

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. 

I was able to solve the issue by assigning the correct pin numbers to reference clocks of HBM.

I was able to build the Qsys design with MCDMA IP interfaced with HBM Controller through AXI bridge. ( I have modified the example design PCIe + DDR + HBM2. I have replaced PCIe endpoint IP with MCDMA IP).

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/19.1.0/Pro/an881-pcie-avmm-dma-gen3x16-ddr4-and-hbm2/

I am able to build and program the design successfully using Quartus 21.3 version. 

During software test, system is not able to work with burstcount greater than 1. I have enabled burstcount greater than 1 option during HBM Controller generation. I have given it as 128 (max is 256).

Does HBM controller with AXI interface works with burst count greater than 1 ?

Best Regards,

Pramod

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what issue are facing? Is it incorrect data read back? Have you try to SignalTap the internal data?

0 Kudos
Pramod_atintel
Employee

Hi John,

I am not getting any response back from HBM memory. Yes, I have connected SignalTap to the AXI ports of the HBM controller. 

For burst count greater than 1, there is no transfer of data.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you check on the PCIe output to the HBM interface to see if the PCIe IP is sending anything out?

0 Kudos
Pramod_atintel
Employee

Hi John,

Yeah, I have checked that PCIe IP is sending the signals to HBM controller inputs.

Wanted to check with you:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an881.pdf

the design example above, can the design be made to work with burst count > 1.

Will the design work if increase the burst capability of clock crossing bridge and HBM controller ?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you look at the user guide, you will observed that the HBM can only support burst count of 1. Below is the information from the document.

Burst length adaptation

The Gen3 x16 IP Write Data Mover (WRDM) and Read Data Mover (RDDM) Avalon-MM interfaces are bursting masters that issue Read/Write transactions in burst mode (the maximum burst count supported is 8). However, the HBM Controller AXI4 slave only supports single-burst transfers (burst length of 1). To resolve this, the maximum burst size in the Avalon-MM clock crossing bridges is set to 1.

0 Kudos
Pramod_atintel
Employee

Hi John,

Can you point me to an example where burst count greater than 2 is supported ?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Currently we do not have any example design for HBM interface that can support burst count more than 1.

0 Kudos