FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5887 Discussions

Quartus 19.1 Standard on Windows and Stratix IV Hard Pci-Express missing file

ltazz1
Beginner

During the generation of my system I get this error:

Error: altgx_internal: error copying "C:/intelfpga/19.1/quartus/../ip/altera/ip_compiler_for_pci_express/lib/altpcie_serdes_4sgx_x4d_gen2_08p.v": no such file or directory

while executing

"file copy -force $source_file $outdir/$output_file"

(procedure "my_generation_callback" line 73)

invoked from within

"my_generation_callback"

I checked and the folder C:\intelFPGA\19.1\ip\altera\ip_compiler_for_pci_express is missing from the installation, do you know how to solve this problem?

Thank you,

Leonardo

0 Kudos
12 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi Leonardo,

Yes, I replicated the same problem in v19.1std and already reported this matter to the Intel PSG engineering team to fix it.

Besides, I have also tested in v18.1std, the same problem does not happen, and probably you can use v18.1std as the temporary workaround.

Regards -SK

ltazz1
Beginner

I tried to copy that folder from 18.1 and seem to work in 19.1, anyway thank you and keep us up to date when a fix come out

Regards,

Leonardo

ltazz1
Beginner

Another strange thing of the altera_pcie_hard_ip with stratix iv and v19.1std, it's impossible to use PCI-E Gen2 x8, in Platform Designer (ex QSys) I get the following message when setting parameters..

Error: system.pcie.pcie_internal_hip: Stratix IV GX and Arria II GZ Phy do not support Gen2 x8

SengKok_L_Intel

Yes, that could be one of the possible workarounds.

As per the user guide, table 1-2, Gen2 x8 is not supported.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pci_express.pdf

When you configure it as Gen2x8 in v18.1, you will also notice the same error.

Regards -SK

ltazz1
Beginner

These statements then are not clear if Gen2 x8 is not supported:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...

Stratix IV GX devices with speed grades C2/C2x/C3/I3 should be used to support PCIe Gen2 x1/x4/x8.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/programmable/fpga/stratix-iv.html

The Stratix® IV GX FPGA is fully compliant with PCI-SIG* for PCI Express* (PCIe*) Gen1 and Gen2 (x1, x4, and x8) and is on the PCI-SIG* integrators list

Regards,

Leonardo

SengKok_L_Intel

What you are using is Avalon-MM Interface, and it only supports up to Gen2x4 for the Stratix IV device. For Gen2X8 support, it uses the Avalon-ST interface, however, the PCIe Avalon-ST IP GUI is no longer available in v19.3. Table 1-5 in the link below show the difference between the Avalon ST and Avalon MM for Stratix IV device and others:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pci_express.pdf

Regards -SK

ltazz1
Beginner

Thank you for the clarification.

I am reverting back on Q18.1 to use PCIE, just in case, to avoid any problem.

I was trying to compile some example of the DE4 dev board but internal timing of the PCI IP are failing:

pcie|pcie_internal_hip|stratix_iv.stratixiv_hssi_pcie_hip|coreclkout setup slack -1.194

Is something that can be ignored?

SengKok_L_Intel

You probably need to check if the failing location is from the two different clock sources. If no, you can't simply ignore it.

Regards -SK

ltazz1
Beginner

Hello, this is the main timing failure

Slack -0.690   

From Node system:u_sys|system_pcie:pcie|altpcie_hip_pipen1b_qsys:pcie_internal_hip|dl_ltssm[4] 

To Node   system:u_sys|system_pcie:pcie|altpcie_hip_pipen1b_qsys:pcie_internal_hip|altpciexpav_stif_app:avalon_stream_hip_qsys.avalon_bridge|altpciexpav_stif_control_register:cntrl_reg|altpciexpav_stif_cr_avalon:i_avalon|CraReadData_o[4]  

Launch clock u_sys|pcie|pcie_internal_hip|stratix_iv.stratixiv_hssi_pcie_hip|coreclkout  

Latch clock u_sys|pcie|pcie_internal_hip|stratix_iv.stratixiv_hssi_pcie_hip|coreclkout  

Relationship 4.000   

Clock skew -0.311 

Data delay  4.296

I was thinking that the timing of the hard ip were fixed and guarantee, this is the chip planner picture

chip.png

Thanks

Leonardo

SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

I don't see this timing violation when I compile the Strativ IV PCIe IP in v18.1. If more help is needed, you may attach a simple design that can replicate this violation here, so that I can look into it.

Regards -SK

SengKok_L_Intel

I will set this case to close-pending for now. Please do not hesitate to get back to me within the next 20-day close-pending period if more help is needed. 

Regards -SK

Hermann
Beginner

Hello All,

I still see the same problems as in the orginal post (i.e. missing files when trying to generate the code from QSYS) in version 20.1.1.720 Standard edition.

I wonder, is there is a plan to fix this. When reading the INTEL WEB pages Stratix IV devices seem to be fully supported in this version.

Another question I have is: what is the preferred IP core to be used for PCIe Express designs using the Stratix IV family ? (And what Quartus version do I have to use ?)

Best regards

Hermann