FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

Quatus 10.1 Exception on Deinterlacer Elaboration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a fairly complex SOPC system which includes a motion adaptive deinterlacer. The SOPC system generates without errors, but when I compile the project, I get the following exception: 

Error: IP Generator Error: Exception during elaboration of alt_tapped_delay: java.lang.NullPointerException 

Error: IP Generator Error: Please forward the complete log file (including the following stack trace) with your bug report: 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.etc.tta.fulib.AltTappedDelayInstance.layoutMemories(AltTappedDelayInstance.java:563) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.etc.tta.fulib.AltTappedDelayInstance.generateStaticTapLengthInstance(AltTappedDelayInstance.java:1118) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.etc.tta.fulib.AltTappedDelayInstance.generate(AltTappedDelayInstance.java:978) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.etc.genericentity.ModuleImpl$FileSetProxy.generate(ModuleImpl.java:99) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.Elaborator.elaborateInternal(Elaborator.java:281) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.Elaborator.elaborate(Elaborator.java:170) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.QuartusSynthLink.elaborate(QuartusSynthLink.java:359) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.QuartusSynthLink.elaborate(QuartusSynthLink.java:342) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.main.ElaborateCommand.runCommand(ElaborateCommand.java:22) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.main.JvgenQuartusMain.processCommandsInternal(JvgenQuartusMain.java:340) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.main.JvgenQuartusMain.processCommandStream(JvgenQuartusMain.java:244) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.main.JvgenQuartusMain.runApp(JvgenQuartusMain.java:189) 

Error: IP Generator Error: com.altera.entity.gen.main.JvgenQuartusMain.main(JvgenQuartusMain.java:95) 

Error: Can't elaborate user hierarchy "OSD:OSD_Inst|DeInterlacer:the_DeInterlacer" 

I am using Quartus 10.1SP1 and I am targeting the EP4CE40F23C6 device. I have compiled the system for the Cyclone 3, also using Quartus 10.1, without any problems. Has anybody seen something like this or know how I can get past it? I guess I have to go to Altera Support with this... 

Regards, 

Niki
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you might try 10.1sp1 to see if someone has caught the issue before you, or else file a Service Request

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I forgot to mention that I am already using 10.1SP1. I did file a service request.  

I actually need to get an urgent, accurate resource usage for the Cyclone IV device. I need to decide between a C40 and C55, which has a significant cost impact. The Cyclone III and IV are so nearly identical that I guess I could use the CIII results. Final product will have to be on a CIV, so I do need to get the problem fixed at some point.  

Anyway, not much I can do but wait for an answer from Altera. 

Regards, 

Niki
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you should explain that point in your SR 

i agree that you should get a pretty clear picture from a CIII resource count and then verify whether a 4C40 will work or not
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I got a response from Altera that it is a known issue for CIV and Stratix V. It will be fixed in the next release. Hope it is not too long from now... 

Regards, 

Niki