FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

RTL simulation in ModelSim 6.1g Altera

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone i have problem with dsp builder in quartus 7.2. 

DSP builder can not launch modelsim gui and i can not use automatism to perform rtl simulation 

please help me.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ModelSim must be on your path. open a Windows Command Prompt and type vsim and see if it launches.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

I have got suchlike response 

Regards, 

Laszczak Marcin.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ah, well you need to look into your ModelSim-AE licensing. if you fix that your DSP Builder issue should be fixed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I dont now what it means i bought license for dsp builder and i have free license for modelsim ( ALTERA STARTER EDITION 6.5b). What do i need to perform such this simulation?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Solution !!!. I have to change matlab current directory to ...\modelsim_ae\win32aloem (modelsim instal directory) on time when i want to make RTL simulation.  

Best regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This sounds like you have the full version of Modelsim (for which you don't have a valid license) on your path ahead of the AE version of modelsim (which you do). If you reorder your path, then you won't need to change directory before you simulate. 

To change your path, right-click on My Computer and select properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then select Environment Variables at the bottom. Click on the path variable in either your User variables or System Variables and then click edit to modify it. Click OK and then restart MATLAB.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

In my case typing vsim in the cmd prompt launches Modelsim. However, pressing Run Modelsim in the Testbench Generator does not.  

Interestingly, changing my current directory to ...\modelsim_ae\win32aloem allows me to run Modelsim from the Testbench Generator as Laszczak Marcin noted.  

Is there some way I can avoid having to change my current directory? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
0 Kudos