FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Read Vertical Synchronization

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

can somebody say me, if it is possible to read the vertical synchronization signal with Nios II? 

I have some videosignals and each of the signals has his own Framebuffer. Now I want to delay the outputs of the Framebuffers, so that all videosignals can use the same vertical synchronization signal. But for this, I have to read out the v_sync signals. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You probably should describe exactly what it is that you want your system to do 

in more detail. 

The NIOS can read the status of bits using GPIOs. 

Whether or not this makes sense in your application will require some more description about your application. 

Generally if you need tight synchronization between video streams, I think the NIOS is probably not  

a good way to go. I would recommend that you write a little HDL block that could assert ready low to the framebuffers 

until it senses that your sync signal has flipped. Once the sync is detected it can stop backpressuring the video pipeline 

and allow video to flow from your framebuffers to the output. 

Hope this helps. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

can somebody say me, if it is possible to read the vertical synchronization signal with Nios II? 

I have some videosignals and each of the signals has his own Framebuffer. Now I want to delay the outputs of the Framebuffers, so that all videosignals can use the same vertical synchronization signal. But for this, I have to read out the v_sync signals. 

Thank you 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos