FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Remote Update IP: How does the CRC Error checking work? Specifically, can you erase part of an image and place a new image and have the "factory" image jump to that image?

TMayd
Novice

Hello, I am trying to make use of the remote configuration IP core for the Cyclone V E. I have gotten the image to properly jump to a different configuration image start. My "factory image" is at 0x000000, while my "application image" is at 0x200000. After I erase and write in a new configuration image at 0x200000 I get a CRC error. Does the CRC get calculated off of the entire configuration file, i.e. when I made the original JIC file, where I had the factory image and application image together? Basically, my central question is, is it possible to partially erase only the old application image, place on a new one, and boot from the old factory image? It seems like that is the purpose of the remote configuration IP... but maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi TMayd,

In order to get more understanding about this issue, may I know which flash device you are using? (eg, EPCQ,EPCQ-A, etc2)

Thanks

0 Kudos
TMayd
Novice
Currently I'm using the EPCS64 on a Terasic DE0-CV then will be using the m25ql10g micron flash device. I have had no issues configuring from either flash thus far. Just a concern about remote update
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi TMayd,

Thank you for your reply.

"Does the CRC get calculated off of the entire configuration file"

Yes, CRC calculated from the configuration file.

"is it possible to partially erase only the old application image, place on a new one, and boot from the old factory image?"

Yes, it is possible to do so. You need to use the register Map to control your RSU design. You may refer to the following RSU reference design. You may see how we control the RSU using the Register Map.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/18.0.0/Standard/remote-system-upgrade-with-system-console-for-cyclone-10-lp/

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks.

0 Kudos