FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6335 Discussions

Remote Update IP not reporting CRC error

RBerm3
Beginner

FPGA: Cyclone 10 GX 10CX150YF672I6G 

Tools: Quartus Prime Pro 17.1.2 build 304

Flash: Micron MT25QU512ABB (EPCQL512)

I have programed the FPGA with 2 images - factory and application.

The factory image stored at address 0x00000020 and the application at 0x01000000.

In the convert programing file menu I set the “boot from page” option to the application image.

In order to test the image CRC error detection I have deleted part of application image.

When erasing any sector of application image except the first sector (offset 0x01000000).

After POR the FPGA indeed load from the Factory image and the “Reconfiguration trigger

Conditions” parameter state 0x1 (Bit 0—crcerror_source: CRC error during application Configuration) as expected.

But after erasing the first sector (offset 0x01000000) of the application image,

The FPGA loads into Factory image and the “Reconfiguration trigger Conditions” parameter state 0x0 (no error).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi RBern3,

I suspect you are enabled the "Enable reconfig POF checking" in Remote Update IP parameters.

Please disable this parameters to make CRC error detection working.

Kindly try it out with your design and let us know the result.

Thanks😉 😉 😉

0 Kudos
RBerm3
Beginner

Hi Mshafiq,

Actually the parameter “Enable reconfig POF checking” is disabled (grayed out) in the IP parameters menu.

The RU IP user guide states about this parameter:

“Not available as this option is handled by the FPGA AS

controller instead of the Remote Update Intel FPGA IP

core. The same application image is loaded for three

times before reverting to factory application image, to

ensure no unexpected system failure occurred.”

Also I tried to disable and enable the “Auto-restart configuration after error” option “from the device and pin options“ menu.

No luck so far.

Please advise ,

Thanks Roman.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi Roman,

I'm sorry I missed that you are using Cyclone 10 GX (this device didn't have POF checking option).

If I'm not mistaken, POF checking option already embedded for Cyclone 10 GX (you can't disable it anymore.)

Another thing that I suspect is Remote Update IP detect your programming file as Blank. Since you are erasing the first sector (offset 0x01000000) of the application image, Remote Update IP detect as Blank file, not corrupted file. Therefore, the “Reconfiguration trigger Conditions” parameter state show 0x0 (bit 0 - no CRC error), because the file is blank not corrupted.

Maybe you can try to corrupt the first sector (offset 0x01000000) by replace it with Random bit rather than erase it. Let me know if this is working.

I wondering when you mention “Reconfiguration trigger Conditions” parameter state 0x0 (no error), do you mean only bit 0 is 0x0(no error)? Or for all bit 0-4 is 0x0?

Some of bit 0-4 should trigger when you able to load to Factory Image.

Thanks.😉 😉 😉

0 Kudos
RBerm3
Beginner

​ Hi Mshafiq,

I tried to corrupt the first sector,

When I corrupt the first page (offset  0x01000000) after POR the application image loads correctly from the flash and the all bits of “reconfiguration trigger” is ‘0’.

When I corrupt the second page of the first sector (offset  0x01000100) the factory image loads and the “reconfiguration trigger” bit 0 is ‘1’ (0x1).

When I erase the whole sector the factory image loads and all the bits of “reconfiguration trigger” is ‘0’.

Thank for your help,

Roman.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I'm really apologize for late reply. I got an urgent project in last month.

May I know your status in this issue? Are you able to solve and find the solution?

😉

0 Kudos
RBerm3
Beginner

Hi Mshafiq,

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to solve this issue,

I still receiving ‘0’ at all the bits of the “reconfiguration trigger” parameter when erasing the first sector.

Thanks in advance,

Roman.

0 Kudos